The secluded 1930’s bungalow, which had been extended haphazardly over its lifetime, has been extensively refurbished to improve the quality of its accommodation and flow of internal circulation. Central to the project was the formation of a new sculptural staircase at the core of the house as well as an enlarged master bedroom suite. The old entrance was dark and cramped and this has been transformed by the creation of a new top-lit entrance lobby with a projecting zinc and glass canopy.
Another key aspect was to improve the health, thermal performance, longevity and aesthetic of the 1980’s extensions. This has been achieved by the use of a proprietary woodfibre and lime render insulation system applied to the external face of the walls. The unifying zinc eaves cladding and new triple glazed timber framed windows further enhance their quality.