The new open plan space replaces an existing conservatory and is envisaged as a pavilion to the rear of the solid 1930’s bungalow. The extension will accommodate a new dining/ family area with direct access from the existing kitchen and leading to the garden via steps on the protected terrace. The side extension, situated in the area formed by the side of the house, rear garage wall and boundary will accommodate a new shower room and utility.
The extension employs a simple planar language of strong horizontal lines offset by vertical apertures, to contrast with and enhance the traditional form of the existing dwelling. The construction utilises a rendered woodfibre timber frame system to the walls and triple glazing to create an extremely low energy and breathable addition to the house.